Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 197 - Shrimp and Grits

Shrimp and Grits
 
I love shrimp and grits.  It's shrimp!  AND grits!  What more could you ask for in a food? 

There is great debate as to whether Shrimp and Grits as a dish orginiated in Charleston or on the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama/Florida coast (affectionately known as the Gulf Coast to those of us from the area, even though we acknowledge that there are many other gulfs in the world!).  Now, I've lived both in Mississippi and in South Carolina, and I'm not sold on who actually invented this delightful dish...nor am I sold on which is better than the other.  The Charleston version always has bacon (yay!) and gravy (ew), while the Gulf version usually has sausage (ew) and creole spices (yay!).  So, mine is...a little of both.

I took some to lunch today, even though the picture I snapped was in the bowl last night before I devoured it.  If you're reheating grits, I recommend pouring a little milk or chicken broth over it before heating - grits dry out after a while, so the added moisture is needed.  And I always use the Southern Living Cheddar Cheese Grits Casserole when I'm cooking to impress - has never failed me!

Shrimp and Grits

1 batch of cheddar cheese grits
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 slices thick cut bacon
1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper (I use red, but green is fine), chopped
1/2 cup white wine or light colored beer, whatever you have on hand
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 T olive oil
1-2 T creole seasoning

Bake up your grits.  Don't eat them too soon, even though you want to!  Slice bacon into small bits and cook in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  As soon as bacon begins to crisp up, add in mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and creole seasoning, cooking for about 5 minutes or until softened.  Pour in wine or beer and bring to a simmer.  Toss in shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes, or until shrimp is pink.  Spoon over grits and serve hot! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment