Friday, April 19, 2013

Day 160 - Chicken Pies with Homemade Stock

Chicken Pie, Strawberries, Edamame


Our last rotisserie chicken recipe today is a repeat - but not really.  For dinner last night I made Moravian Chicken Pies, which I've made before.  The only thing that I did differently was actually cut out the pie dough into rounds, which I think makes a much prettier pie.  I threw in some edamame and strawberries for lunch today, and it was a great little meal!

Now, you can go back and look at my recipe for these pies anytime.  What I want to share with you today, however, is how to make homemade chicken stock from a rotisserie chicken.  The chicken pie recipe calls for both chopped chicken as well as chicken broth or stock, both of which I got from this week's chicken.  Making your own stock is extremely easy, and it freezes beautifully!  Speaking of freezing, I'll sometimes freeze the chicken bones and make stock out of them later, if I'm pressed for time.  Trust me, making your own stock will make all the difference in the world!

Chicken Stock from Rotisserie Chicken

1 four pound (or smaller) rotisserie chicken, meat and skin removed (some meat and bones remaining)
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 onion, peeled and halved
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 t black pepper
1 t kosher salt
3 quarts water

Place all ingredients in a large stock pot.  Feel free to throw the carrots and celery in whole, leaves and all included.  You may chop vegetables to better  fit your pot.  Bring pot to a boil and then reduce to a quick simmer; simmer for at least one hour.  If liquid looks like it's getting too low, then just add more water.  When stock is a rich golden color, remove from heat.  Strain liquid, removing all solids.  Let cool and keep either in refrigerator or freezer.  Use for soups or any other recipe that needs chicken broth!

Tip:  if you're freezing stock, try freezing it in your ice tray.  When frozen, pop all the cubes into a large bag - each cube is about 2 Tablespoons of liquid, so you can just throw as little or as much as you need into your recipes for the next few months!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment