Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Day 146 - Easy Shepherd's Pie

Shepherd's Pie

Friends, this is day two of my VACATION WEEK YAAAAY in which I feature casseroles from weeks past that will translate well to lunches.  Today, I'm showing you my super tasty Shepherd's Pie that I made for St. Patrick's Day.  And it's just as easy to make as it is tasty! 

Now, I made little individual casseroles, because I had friends over and it's cute.  You can use four 2-cup casserole dishes for this, or one large 8-cup (or 2-quart) casserole dish.  Whatever makes your little Irish heart glad!



Easy Shepherd's Pie

1 lb ground lamb (or beef, in which case you should rename this "Cottage Pie")
1 can mixed vegetables, drained
4 cups mashed potatoes (I made mine fresh using two potatoes, but you may use leftover or store bought)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown meat over medium heat.  Drain fat, and add in vegetables, stirring until heated through.  Divide meat mixture evenly between four 2-cup individual casserole dishes.  Top with about 1 cup each of mashed potatoes, sprinkling 1/4 cup of cheese on top.  Bake at 400F until cheese is melted and tops of potatoes are lightly browned.  Serve with a good salad and a loaf of bread. 

Meat mixture will freeze for several months, so feel free to keep it in your freezer for whenever you have leftover potatoes! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment