Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 106 - Lighter Bean Chimichangas

Bean Chimichangas, Guacamole, Blue Corn Chips, Mandarin Oranges

I guess I'm still on my Southwestern kick from last week.

Today's lunch included mini chimichangas, a Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie pack, blue corn chips, and a cup of mandarin oranges.  Yes, I got one of my chimichangas a little too crispy, but I like it that way!  To make the chimichangas, which are really just deep fried burritos, I used up rice from last week, leftover refried beans, and the last of the pinto beans from yesterday's lunch.  You may fill yours with whatever you want - chicken, beef, pork, black beans, peppers, even scrambled eggs - as long as the filling is something that heats well.  I'd save the guacamole and lettuce for toppings.

These are easy, hot, and will fill you up quickly!  I call them "lighter" because they are sauteed in a pan rather than deep fried, as is traditional.  I also didn't cover them in cheese, which is my favorite way to eat them when I'm at a restaurant.  You can make them as healthy or as indulgent as you wish, depending on what you fill and top them with.  I pictured one of them upside down so you could see how I folded it, in case you're curious!  The recipe makes two, but feel free to expand to as many as you want.

Lighter Bean Chimichangas

2 fajita sized flour tortillas
3/4 cup southwestern or Mexican food leftovers (I used 1/4 cup refried beans, 1/4 cup pinto beans, and 1/4 cup rice)
1 T shredded monterray jack cheese
1 t corn oil

Heat oil in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Mix your leftovers and cheese well in a small bowl; divide evenly between tortillas, and roll up like a burrito, with no filling exposed.  Holding your bundle of goodness together carefully, gently place seam side down in your skillet.  Be quick with pulling away your hands, the oil might sputter at you!  Cook until brown and crispy, about 2-5 minutes.  Flip and cook until other side is just as brown and crispy.  Allow to cool for a few minutes or completely before serving! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment