Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 86 - Pimento Cheese Sandwiches

Pimento Cheese sandwiches, pretzel crisps, grapes, celery.
 
Ok, so I got a little more cooking motivation last night...but not much.  So I made some delicious pimento cheese, just like God and grandmamma intended...except, I'm pretty sure my grandmother would balk at my pimento cheese ingredients.

Pimento cheese is a staple in traditional southern cooking, but I like to kick mine up a notch with some cream cheese and chilies.  It's good, trust me.  So for lunch today I had some pimento cheese spread on thin white toast, pretzel crisps, grapes, and celery sticks. And then tonight, I'll probably have some on crackers...because this stuff does NOT last long at my house!

Pimento Cheese Spread

8oz. sharp cheddar, freshly grated
2oz. goat cheese
7oz. jar pimento, drained
4oz. canned green chili, drained
heaping tablespoon cream cheese
heaping tablespoon mayo
pinch black pepper
pinch garlic salt

Be sure to use freshly grated cheese for this recipe; pre-shredded just won't have the right flavor or texture.  Cream all ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork.  If too "chunky," add more cream cheese or mayo.  Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment