Monday, October 22, 2012

Day 58 - Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup

 Today was slow cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup!  It's got a lot of the same flavors as a white chili, but it's much lighter.  I did find myself wishing that I had added white beans, but it was pretty darn good as is.  Right amount of heat for me, good broth flavor, tender chicken...just a good, basic soup with a little extra kick.  I'm definitely remembering this one for cold season.

I got the recipe from the blog Bake by Rachel, with a few of my own alterations.   The recipe below is what I made, but I'm sure that her's would be a great option as well.  She gives some helpful hints for shredding chicken, as well.

Pics are obviously from yesterday...I find that my thermos keeps things nice and hot, but since I have to pack it that way in the morning, and there's no sunshine in the morning these days...you know, bad pictures.

Anyway, recipe!:




Chicken Tortilla Soup

3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh, trimmed
15oz can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
6C chicken stock
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 t minced garlic
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp ground pepper, divided
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Seasoned tortilla strips or chips

Add all ingredients, saving cheese and tortillas, to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.  Shred chicken with a fork into bite sized pieces.  Skim any fat off the top as desired and serve hot, topped with cheese and tortilla strips.



Does well both in the fridge and the freezer!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment