Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 44 - Magic with Canned Potatoes

Chicken breast, Brussels sprouts, slow cooked Dijon potatoes.

 Alright, I have a confession, but first...let's cover lunch today.

Dijon potatoes, pan seared Brussels sprouts, pan chicken with a dijon glaze.  I will likely be remaking the chicken and sprouts later and sharing the recipe (they just didn't come out very pretty this time, for some reason), but I think it's time that I first come clean about the potatoes.

I do, from time to time, eat canned potatoes.

I know, I know.  It's horrible, it's awful, they're so gross.  I hear you!  Nothing makes me happier than a fresh Yukon gold roasted to perfection with some clarified butter and a sprinkling of fleur de sel.  I promise, I do cook those things!

I also go to the ballet and enjoy a nice art exhibit.  But sometimes, friends, I just want to watch trashy reality TV and eat something out of a can.  It happens.

I have found that, at least to my palette, freshly cooked potatoes do not taste good once they're cold, and they taste even worse once refrigerated.  Canned potatoes, however, can be manipulated to taste OK and they do MUCH better for transport and reheating.

I first met canned potatoes at summer camp.   They were always swimming in butter and served with Salisbury steak.  So, to me, they taste nostalgic.  I've found that the trick to making them myself is to not even try to go low fat...they need some flavor injected into them.  They're not as good as cooking your own, ever, but I will use them for  lunch occasionally when I get a hankering.

Yeah, I said it.  A hankering.

Edible Canned Potatoes

2 15-oz cans of whole new potatoes (I use Del Monte)
1/2 cup water
1 T chicken boullion
2 T dijon mustard
4 T butter
2 t onion salt

Drain and rinse potatoes and place in a medium sized pot.  Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over potatoes.  Cover and cook over medium heat until just barely simmering; continue to barely simmer for 15 minutes  before serving.  Alternately, you can place the ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment