Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 26 - Chicken Gyro!

Chicken gyro,  watermelon, pistachios.

Last night, I went out for Greek food.  We went to a new place and found my new favorite guilty pleasure: fried portobello mushrooms with marinara and feta dipping sauce.   It was so bad for me.  It was so tasty.

How did I not think of combining marinara and feta myself?
Needless to say, I got the vegetable plate for my entree.

Anyway, it inspired me to try to make a chicken gyro for lunch.  I was honestly a little shocked at how good it is.  I've made pretty good tzatziki sauce for a while now, just never mastered the gyro.  All I did was made up some fresh tzatziki, heat up a wheat pita, add some tomato, mixed greens, red onion, feta cheese, and chicken grilled with Greek spices.  It was soooo good.  Added some watermelon and pistachios, and it was a pretty great lunch.

Throwing together gyros and other Greek wraps is pretty easy, as long as your components are good.  Here's my recipe for tzatziki sauce.


Tzatziki

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 large cucumber
juice of 1 lemon
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon dried dill
Salt and Pepper to taste

Peel the cucumber and cut in half, longways (is that a word?  Guess it is now).  Scoop out the seeds with a spoon; discard seeds.  Chop roughly and pulse in a food processor until finely diced or pureed - the smoother your cucumber, the smoother your sauce will be.  Spoon the cucumber into a sieve and press until most of the liquid is removed.  In a small bowl, combine cucumber, yogurt, and remaining ingredients.   Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow flavors to mingle.

Don't know what to do with your leftover cucumber juice?  Add it to a gallon of water and keep in the fridge for a super refreshing drink! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment