Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 12 - Dijon Asparagus

Roasted Chicken, Dijon Asparagus, Herbed Rice, Black Grapes
I had some delightful - but unanticipated - dinner guests last night.  So, naturally, I had a kitchen scavenger hunt to see what kind of meal I could make.  I had some chicken drum sticks in the freezer, I always have rice on hand, and I had some fresh asparagus from the farmers' market.  Woohoo, a full meal!  I cooked up the rice with some chicken stock and herbs, and made a dijon marinade for the chicken and asparagus that's very similar to the orzo I made earlier in the week.  The marinade on the chicken was good.

The marinade on the asparagus was A-MAZING!

Seriously, you've gotta try this one.  I had leftovers for lunch today with some grapes thrown in, and it was just as good cold. 


Part of me wishes I had three times as much asparagus.  The irrational part of me, but still, SO GOOD.

Without further ado, the asparagus recipe!

Dijon Asparagus

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and rinsed
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon white pepper (black will be just fine if you don't have white pepper on hand)

In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients, except asparagus.  Gently fold asparagus into mixture, being sure not to break stems.  Let sit 10-20 minutes.  Transfer asparagus onto a foil lined cookie sheet, pouring any extra marinade over the stems.  Arrange asparagus in one layer.  Bake at 425F for 5-10 minutes, or until desired tenderness.  Serve hot or cold. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment