Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 11 - Baked Pita Chips

Hummus and pita chips, broccoli, cherries.


This was probably the quickest lunch yet.  Raw broccoli, pineapple, cherries, pita chips, and an individual hummus cup.  I usually make my own hummus, but the individuals were on sale and this is a week where I happen to have more money than time.  Ergo, store bought.

I know what you're thinking.  "Dang, girl, don't you ever get tired of cherries?"  When they're ripe?  No.  Never.  They are delicious and I love them.  Here I stand, I can do no other.

But...I am getting tired of pita.  Unfortunately I seem to only find large quantities of it to buy, which means I have to eat it forever.  I do keep it in the fridge to help its shelf life stretch, but I was ready to shake things up.  So, I baked a couple of pitas into chips.  It's so simple I hesitate to write a "recipe," but it's been a while since I've shared one, so here goes.

Baked Pita Chips

1 whole wheat pita
Olive oil or butter flavored cooking spray
1 teaspoon salt (optional)

Cut the pita into bite sized pieces.  I prefer wedges, but any shape you want is just fine.  If you're using pocket pita (pita that you can put things into rather than a simple flat bread), split your pita pieces on the fold.  Place in one layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Spray with cooking spray until thinly covered; sprinkle salt on top if desired.  Bake at 400F for 5-7 minutes.  Let cool completely before sealing in a container.  These will stay good and crisp for several days at room temperature in an air tight container.

Feel free to experiment with garlic salt, oregano, cayenne pepper, and any other spices.  And if you're not watching your diet, feel free to use white pita and/or butter. 


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment